Cook it up!
I love baking and one of my favorite things to make is pizza. So i thought i’d write down a recipe i stick to, to make the perfect pizza time after time.
The Classic Margherita
This traditional Italian pizza is simple and delicious. This recipe makes 2 pizzas, perfect for sharing and will take 1hr and 15 mins to prepare and cook. It’s well worth the wait! This recipe shows you how to make a classic pizza base from scratch
For the base
- 200g strong white flour plus extra for dusting
- 7g fast-action dried yeast
- Pinch of salt
- 140ml water, warm
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus extra for brushing
For the topping
- 200g passata or half a tin of chopped tomatoes
- mozzarella hand torn into chunks
- Parmesan block
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare 2 baking trays by pouring 1 tablespoon of oil on each tray and spreading it with your fingers. Brush the inside of a large bowl with oil also.
- To prepare the dough, put the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl, make a well in the centre and pour in the water with 1 tablespoon of oil. Use a wooden spoon to mix everything together to create a wet dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and work it with your hands for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in the oiled bowl, brush the top with oil and cover with clingfilm. Leave to rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Once rested, turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and divide it into 2 equal halves. Use your hands to push each one out from the center, to create 2 round discs about 25cm in diameter. Place the pizza bases on the oiled baking trays.
- Spread the passata or chopped tomatoes evenly over the top of the bases using the back of a tablespoon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mozzarella between the 2 pizzas and drizzle each one with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Cook in the middle of the oven for 12 minutes until golden brown. Two minutes before the end of the cooking, scatter over the basil and continue to cook.
- put the pizzas on to plates ready to serve and thinly grate over a small amount of Parmesan
- Serve hot and enjoy.